|Area||871 km2 (336 sq mi)|
|Length||67 km (41.6 mi)|
|Width||13 km (8.1 mi)|
|Highest elevation||365 m (1198 ft)|
|Administered under the Antarctic Treaty System|
Hearst Island is an ice-covered, dome-shaped island lying 7 km (4 nmi) east of Cape Rymill, in the Weddell Sea, off the eastern coast of Palmer Land. The island is 67 km (36 nmi) long, in a north–south direction, 13 km (7 nmi) wide, and rises to 365 m (1,198 ft).
It was first sighted on a flight on December 20, 1928, by Sir Hubert Wilkins. Thinking it was part of the mainland of Antarctica, he named it Hearst Land, for William Randolph Hearst who helped finance the expedition. It was resighted and its insularity ascertained in 1940 by members of the USAS who explored this coast by land and from the air. They named it Wilkins Island. Examination of aerial photographs have shown, however, that this large island is what Wilkins considered Hearst Land.
- Composite Antarctic Gazetteer
- List of Antarctic and sub-Antarctic islands
- List of Antarctic islands south of 60° S
- Territorial claims in Antarctica