|Full name||Anton Turek|
|Date of birth||18 January 1919|
|Place of birth||Duisburg, Germany|
|Date of death||11 May 1984(aged 65)|
|Place of death||Neuss, West Germany|
|Height||1.81 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|1936–1941||TuS Duisburg 48/99|
|1941–1943||TSG Ulm 1846|
|1943–1946||TuS Duisburg 48/99|
|1947–1950||TSG Ulm 1846||65||(0)|
|*Club domestic league appearances and goals|
Born in Duisburg, Turek started his career at Duisburger Sportverein, but he soon switched to TuS Duisburg 48/99. He first came to the attention of later West Germany national team coach Sepp Herberger was on 27 September 1936, when West Germany played a preparation game against Luxembourg in Krefeld. Before that game, the youth teams of Krefeld and TuS Duisburg 48/99 had met with the 17-year-old Turek standing in the Duisburg goal. During World War II Turek was lucky things did not turn out worse for him as a shell splinter struck through his helmet.
In 1950 Turek switched to Fortuna Düsseldorf. Between 1950 and 1954 he played 20 games for the West Germany national team. He played in "The Miracle of Bern" 1954 FIFA World Cup final against Hungary and won the Championship.
After a fine save from a very close shot by Nándor Hidegkuti, he was described by the sports reporter Herbert Zimmermann with the words "Toni, you're a football God". He later had to apologize for that comment because the church complained about the comparison of a football player with God.
He has received numerous honours and is still highly regarded in Germany, especially in the Rhineland.
- Bitter, Jürgen. Deutschlands Fußball Nationalspieler, Sportverlag, 1997, p. 503.
- Arnhold, Matthias (28 July 2016). "Anton 'Toni' Turek - International Appearances". RSSSF. Retrieved 2 August 2016.
- Werner Raupp, Toni Turek – „Fußballgott“, 2019 (see below, Further Reading), p. 107–114.
- "Viel Glück habe ich nicht gehabt" (in German). web.ard.de. Archived from the original on 24 December 2009. Retrieved 30 June 2009.
- "Video clip on YouTube". YouTube. Archived from the original on 12 December 2021.
- Bitter, Jürgen. Deutschlands Fußball Nationalspieler, Sportverlag, 1997, p. 504.
- Werner Raupp, Toni Turek – „Fußballgott“ (see below, Further Reading), p. 171–176, 183 f.
Werner Raupp: Toni Turek - "Fußballgott". Eine Biographie, Hildesheim: Arete Verlag 2019 (2018) (ISBN 978-3-96423-008-9).